Monday, March 7, 2016

Writing a Story in 50 Precious Words

Growth as a writer is often about taking on new challenges push you 
to try new things or old things in new ways. The alchemy of writing 
picture books has long eluded me, so I decided to take a challenge 
offered by fellow author Vivian Kirkfield the 50 PRECIOUS 
WORDS WRITING CONTEST.

Inspired by my youngest daughters exhilarated discovery of words
 in her environment, pointing and shouting "like!" "me!" "you!" 
"love!" in signs, the hymns in church, the mail, I've created this
 brief story in infant-draft form for this contest.

WORD SNATCHER
Gobble a banana
"Snatch it, Hannah"

Walk the Park
Snatch the arc

Shopping Loop
Snatch a hoop

Scoot to school
Snatch it.  Cool!

Dance, Twirl
"Snatch it, Tutu girl."

Stir, sip.
Snatch the tip.

Bubble Bath Ballad
Snatch a song!

Jammie Jumble of
Snatched words, 
Hannah stumbles,
"Hannah Banana walks..."

Question is, can you tell this is the story of a preschooler going
 through the day, snatching words along the way, and reading 
them as a story that night?

Care to take up the challenge?  Jump right in
 Writing a Story in 50 Precious Words
Or choose a challenge of your own!

Feel free to share the results in the comments below!

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I love your inspiration for this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Alexandria! What a fabulous entry into the 50 Precious Words Contest. I'm thrilled you are playing along! I grabbed your URL and put it in the comments section of my blog post so that everyone can come and visit here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a darling story! I did take the challenge too. Mine's also about a snatcher. Here's the link: http://lexicalcreations.weebly.com/jens-blog/50-words-contest-entry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Alexandria,
    Thank you so much for playing along in my contest. I love your story...it's amazing how you were able to take us through the day with only 50 words.

    ReplyDelete